A little background: You have learned about many aspects of the criminal justice system that have an affect on cases going to court and court proceedings. It is important that the CJ system is viewed in its totality in an effort to see how different factors affect the outcome and ultimately the quest for justice.
Directions: Based off of what you have learned in weeks 5 & 6 (and keeping in mind what you learned in weeks 1-4) you are to answer the following questions:
- Make up with a synopsis of a criminal act. This should be no longer than a paragraph. It should include the elements needed to answer the following questions.
- Identify the crime(s) committed and the response by the police (this should detail the probable cause element for an arrest), suggest the charges for this individual (refer to the revised statutes in the state that you live to identify what crime(s) they may be charge with). You may have to do some additional outside research (besides the revised statutes in your state) using sources through the UMGC library to obtain some of this information.
- Pretend that you are the District Attorney for this case. Explain your role in the prosecution of this case. Detail the information and steps that will be taken to take this case to trial. Explain the elements that must be necessary in order for the suspect to be convicted in the U.S. court system.
- Paper must be double spaced, 11 or 12 pt font and 1margins all around.
- All APA 7th edition format requirements must be followed (cover page, in text citations, reference page). Refer to APA/UMGC – learning resources found in the content page of this course.
- You must have resources to support your thoughts/opinions/information. These must be cited both in text as well as at the end of the document. Your paper should not contain direct quotes, sourced material must be paraphrased.
- Answered in 1., 2., 3 format