Written Assignment #3 Due 3/21
In your readings on Culture and Diversity, you learned to define culture in a business and the impact of a diverse workforce on business success. Letâ€™s return to Sun City Boards and the CEO Tom Wilson. (You can refresh your memory of Sun City Boards by reading the Why It Matters and Putting It Together sections of the Planning and Mission module.) Recall that Tom founded the company out of his passion for surfing and has hired employees who have also expressed their surfing interest. Through the help and advice of his friend, he has been making changes to the business operation, including hiring new people. Sun City Boards now employs 17 people, and Tom plans to hire another 8 to 10 in the near future. Tomâ€™s advisor has told him to consider a more diverse population of people for his next hires. Tom is unaware of and unaccustomed to the concepts of culture and diversity in business. He has no idea what his advisor means and no understanding of how it might impact his business.
In this assignment, you will review aspects of culture and diversity for Sun City. You will look for ways their culture can be evaluated and then summarize your findings. The following steps will help you prepare for your written assignment:
- Thoroughly read the Culture and Diversity module.
- Carefully consider the artifacts, values, and assumptions that might be observed at an organization like Sun City Boards. Think of how a diverse workforce would impact the Sun City business.
- Identify specific artifacts you might look for at Sun City to evaluate their diversity, using at least three specific examples or topics covered in the Module 9 reading. For example, since Sun City is in a change mode, you could identify the impact of role modeling on the employees.
- Finally, explain why diversity is important to this business and how they might go about evaluating the culture and diversity of Sun City Boards. You must support your advice with the three specific examples you identified in the previous step. In addition to the text, you are encouraged to research culture and diversity using reliable and properly cited Internet resources. You may also draw from your personal work experience with appropriate examples to support your references.
There should be at least two paragraphs, each with one of the specific examples and full elaboration.
- Word or PDF File only (no text or comment submissions
- Name, date, course, assignment title, etc at the top
- Free of spelling and grammatical mistakes
- This is a college level business course, therefore assignments must live up to that expectation.
- One to two sentences will not suffice. All work should be at least 500 words. This only includes YOUR words, not the assignment’s.
- Work with significant elaboration and demonstration of applied knowledge will receive the highest amount of points