Explain the function of pulmonary surfactant. Please answer the following short answer questions. Answers should be clear and concise to address the main points of each topic as discussed in the subsequent weeks with a minimum of 250 words. An associated diagram/graph should be drawn (student-created) or included from the Internet (please include the URL) to help clarify any of your points. Utilize the checklist below to assist with completion of each essay answer:
10 points: The information is correct and the main points of the topic are explained appropriately.
5 points: A personal example or an application is included, which effectively helps to strengthen the topic’s points.
5 points: An appropriate diagram/graph is included to enhance the topic’s points. The diagram/graph could be student-created or an image from the Internet (please include the URL).
5 points: There are no grammatical and/or spelling errors.
5 points: Each topic question is answered in a minimum of 250 words.
Short Answer Topic #1:
- Explain intrapleural and intrapulmonary pressures and their importance on breathing.
Short Answer Topic #2:
- Explain the function of pulmonary surfactant.
Short Answer Topic #3:
- Explain external and internal respiration
Short Answer Topic #4:
- Explain the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve.
Short Answer Topic #5:
- Explain how carbon dioxide is transported in the blood and the Haldane effect.
Short Answer Topic #6:
- Explain chemoreceptors and the control of respiration.